MoneyTalk$- Cyber Security Awareness Month
Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. In today’s world you have to take every measure possible to protect your private information from getting into the hands of people trying to do harm. Hackers have multiple resources to get ahold of your information including your phone, email, internet, social media, etc.
The theme for this year’s awareness month is Own IT, Secure IT, Protect IT. This reminds us to personally be aware of how secure our passwords are and to be careful when sharing information about yourself and others on social media.
Cybersecurity focuses on protecting your computer, mobile devices, tablets, and networks from being targeted by hackers trying to gain access to information like your identity and intellectual property such as patents and trademarks.
Some ways hackers can steal your information are:
- Spoofing/Phishing- When a program, system, or website pretends to be another by falsifying data and in turn is treated as a trusted system by a user or another program.
- Denial of Service- An interruption in an authorized users’ access to a computer network, typically for malicious reasons.
- Trojan Horse- A malicious program which seems to be doing one thing, but is actually doing another.
- Malware- software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computers systems.
The protection of your credit and identity is very important to the Bank, and that is why we provide each of our deposit account holders with complimentary identity theft protection benefits through Assurant Red Flag ID Fraud Solutions.
These complimentary benefits include:
- Live Restoration Services
- Credit Report Assistance
- Emergency Preparation Kit
- Document Recovery
- Identity Theft Education Center
To find out more about your complimentary benefits or to take advantage of the comprehensive benefits at discounted rates, please call Assurant at 1-800-859-1568 or visit www.mybankredflag.com.
Information provided by the National Cyber Security Alliance, the Federal Trade Commission, and Assurant Red Flag ID Fraud Solutions